Monday, January 15, 2007

Nickel & Dimed

I just finished Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich and it was kinda good. I had done some shit jobs like she described in the past (working in "retail" for example; long story; my main shit job was a camp job during the summers) but she provided a nice insight into shite industries I had no idea about- maid work and food service. It was damn interesting to hear some of the standard practices of the maids (as mandated by their company training whatnot) but what really opened my eyes was the bit about working as a waitress. I never really realized that waitstaff really only make like $2 an hour. So your tip really is their hourly wage. I've been trying to tip 20% as a result of reading it. If you want your waiter to have a living wage, it's up to you. All you gotta do is tip like a ninja.

1 Comments:

Blogger foo said...

i'm locked out of my own blog

:(

6:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home